Pinterest

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

New Tri Bike!



I hadn't really planned on purchasing a new bike today, but after a quick trip to Bicycles of Scottsdale this morning, I found myself carting home a new Quintana Roo Dulce Tri Bike! I had been looking at tri bikes with a bit of curiosity for the past couple of weeks. I've learned that some of the big difference between the tri bike and the road bike are the post angle (tri bike's angle is designed to help save your legs from fatigue, but still be fast and efficient), handlebar positioning, and fewer spokes in the wheels (to reduce drag).

I found a used 2010 QR Chicquilo on eBay, for what looked like a pretty good price. It would have to be shipped from D.C., so I was worried about ordering it and then finding it didn't fit me quite right or that it wouldn't be in as great of condition as advertised. So, I decided to visit one of the only bike shops in the area that sells QR bikes to check out the fit. When I got to Bicycles of Scottsdale, I saw that they had a brand new 2011 QR Chicquilo for less than the used bike on eBay. They also had the Dulce (a step up because of the higher quality wheels and carbon body over aluminum) for just a little more than the used eBay bike. Apparently, the shop is under new ownership (or as it appears, back under the original ownership) and is remodeling and clearing out some of the current year model bikes for prices at or below cost!

Since I had been looking at tri bikes online for a couple of weeks, I felt confident the bike was a good deal. The owner and other shop worker were great! They answered all my questions and took their time helping me out. The owner also made sure I had all the equipment I needed, but wasn't pushy at all about buying things. He frequently said, "you don't necessarily need to buy this today, but you may find that down the road..." which I really appreciated. I ended up buying some new bike shoes and clips as well, so I will be trying out all my new equipment and will report to everyone how it all goes soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Woohooo! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for you! This is HUGE! Can't wait to see it in person. Watch out Ironman 2012. Kim isn't messing around. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty sweet. I will need some advice about how to get used to riding it. I am thinking I will have a sore neck if I don't get the body positioning right.

    ReplyDelete