Pinterest

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kate's Race Report - Nathan's Triathlon - Sprint division

Kate and Annette after the race.

Today was race day!  The Ironmoms were tackling Nathan's triathlon.  I was originally slated to do the Olympic distance with Kim but I knew I wasn't ready.  The diet made me pretty weak so I thought I would die.  Plus, I knew the swim would be brutal for me since I haven't had a bit of swim time and I wouldn't be able to wear a wetsuit.  So I switched to the Sprint distance.  The sprint was 750 m swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.  I felt pretty comfortable with the distances. 

My day didn't go as planned.  First, I only had 2 hours of sleep the night before.  I attended the NABA-AZ dinner and might of had a couple too many glasses of wine.  Not the plan.  The plan was to stay at the dinner for a short while and then go home and get a good night of sleep.  Instead I partied like a rock star until the weee hours of the morning. 

I set the alarm for 4:30.  I thought this would give me time to get ready and get to Annette's house house for pick up.  I guess the alarm didn't go off and I woke up to Annette's phone call at 5:20!  UGH.  I manged to get there in a couple minutes but I wasn't on my A game.  Not only did I oversleep, I forgot my earplugs, my swim cap, and my timing chip!  Plus I realized I had a mild hangover! 

Even with all the morning chaos, I managed to finish the race.  It was just ok.  The high point for me was the run. I wasn't fast but I felt pretty strong. I usually feel strongest on my bike but I wasn't feeling it today.  The low point was my swim, as usual.  I didn't panic but I was still slow.  A positive note about the swim was that I did a much better job sighting in the water. The race was not my finest moment and not a total disaster.  I looked at the results and finished 3 minutes faster than in 2009.  That is good considering I was not on my A game.  Plus, I finished under 2:00 hours!  That is awesome for me. 

I'm looking forward to get the training going again.  Lots of potential to have some great races.  I'm also very proud of all of us Ironmoms.  We are doing it!

1 comment:

  1. Kate, this is hilarious! You are definitely a rockstar for still doing the race despite all the issues.
    I thought the same thing as we were leaving the dinner Friday night, "Holy cow, Kate is racing in the morning!!"
    Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete