Pinterest

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tour de Scottsdale - part 2 - DNF



Kate and Kim Looking Good at the Half Way Mark!  
Did you all read Kim's post?  She did a great job detailing the ride.  It was BEAUTIFUL but it seemed like most of the ride was uphill.  I was very proud of our performance considering we did not do many long training rides.  Last year I tackled this ride with Lance, Jake, Eric, Geoffry, and Ron and we all did really well.  BUT we put in a ton of riding time.  They guys were all riding with me as I trained for Ironman.  By the time Tour of Scottsdale rolled around we had done several rides over 50 miles.  Compare that training to this year . . . Kim and I didn't do one ride over 50 miles.  Maybe not even over 40 miles.  I knew I wasn't trained but we had already signed up and spent the money.  Why not try?   

Kim and I were very good riding partners.  When one of us would get tired the other would push ahead and keep us moving.  It worked really well.  If one of us got ahead the other would catch up quickly.  I also think we did a pretty good job with our nutrition. 

After the picture was taken above, you could really see people starting to fade.  We were doing pretty good then a huge hill on Shea kicked my rear end.  It was brutal!  It also got really hot.  Around this time I told Kim that she should keep on moving regardless of what I did.  I didn't want to hold her back.  We ended up staying together until the 7 mile mark.   

By the time we got to the last 7 miles, I knew it was all uphill and I was spent.  I was going to stop at an aid station but I thought I'd keep trying.  I made it another 3 miles and was officially pooped.  I made it another mile and I finally got to the point of where our cars were parked.  I could keep going OR jump in the car and leave. 

It was a tough decision but I decided to pull the plug.  (1)  It was HOT!  (2)  The last few miles were all up Hill.  (3)  I was feeling a pain in my Hip.  (4)  I knew if I went up the last few miles I'd have to turn around and come back to the car.  (5)  I was wiped OUT! 

When it was all said and done, I am still comfortable with my decision.  I still rode 66 miles of an extremely tough bike route.  I had an excellent work out.  That is good enough.  I'm also very proud of Kim for finishing her longest ride.  I would say we have a strong start to Ironman 2012.   Can't wait to tackle another race with the other Ironmoms!   


Kate after her DNF (Did Not Finish)



No comments:

Post a Comment